Who is Kanav Kariya?
Early life and education
Kariya was born and raised in Mumbai, Maharashtra, India. Right from his childhood, he was inclined to join Indian army. However, later, as a teenager, his interest became evident in video games, and he decided to pursue computer science instead.
Kariya completed his education from the Jamnabai Narsee School, and then moved to the United States at the age of 18. He attended the University of Illinois to pursue his Bachelor’s in Computer Engineering. During his time at the University of Illinois, he met Jump co-founders Bill Disomma and Paul Gurinas, where Kariya landed his internship.
While pursuing his degree in computers, Kariya got placed as a Software Engineering intern at Jump Trading LLC in 2017. His internship sparked a deep interest within him in the cryptocurrency space. The crypto career inclination started during internship at labs that he along with Disomma and Gurina have at the University of Illinois and there was a mining rig in the closet and VR project to abstract away trading screens and intern project to explore like crypto market structure and build build tools. Kariya’s inquisitive financial mindset and knowledge of the crypto, landed him the position of a Quantitative Researcher and later the Director of Strategic Initiatives (Digital Assets).
It was in 2021 that Kariya, as a 25-year-old, was promoted as the President of Jump Crypto, a crypto arm of the Jump Trading Group that focuses on the DeFi market. He currently leads a team of 140+ employees across the globe. Jump Crypto has primarily two buckets of the business, one is prop trading and the other is building quantitative models scale that globally across all the crypto venues make markets take on the markets.
Kariya considers crypto as a way to break down barriers across every industry, not just finance, but also healthcare and social media. He and his team members are currently working on projects like Pyth and Wormhole, which are gaining momentum to make interoperability a reality. Jump Trading’s Jump Crypto has committed billions of dollars to the crypto space and continues to allocate resources and capital to further develop the crypto ecosystem.
- Kariya was featured in the 40 under 40 class of 2021 by Crain’s Chicago Business.
- Kanav Kariya: Intern to President of Jump Crypto
- Jump Crypto President Kanav Kariya on the Wormhole hack, market making, and crypto outlook
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 "Here's why Kanav Kariya is a #Crains40Under40". Crain's Chicago Business. 2021-10-26. Retrieved 2022-09-23.
- ↑ News, Bloomberg (2022-06-02). "Jump Report Shows Big Investors Exited Terra While Retail Bought - BNN Bloomberg". BNN. Retrieved 2022-09-24.
- ↑ "Why Jump Crypto's Kanav Kariya Is Upbeat Despite Terra Fiasco". NDTV.com. Retrieved 2022-09-24.
- ↑ Graffeo, Emily. "A 25-year old former intern will run a billion-dollar crypto unit at Jump Trading Group". Markets Insider. Retrieved 2022-09-23.
- ↑ Stimolo, Stefania (2021-09-15). "25-year-old Kanav Kariya president of Jump Crypto". The Cryptonomist. Retrieved 2022-09-23.
- ↑ "Jump Names 25-Year-Old Former Intern as Crypto Unit Head". www.bloomberg.com. Retrieved 2022-09-23.
- ↑ "Jump Trading Group Launches Jump Crypto". www.businesswire.com. 2021-09-14. Retrieved 2022-09-23.
- ↑ "Crypto Bahamas". www.cryptobahamas.com. Retrieved 2022-09-23.
- ↑ "Why Jump Crypto's Kanav Kariya Is Upbeat Despite Terra Fiasco". NDTV.com. Retrieved 2022-09-23.