Twitter after Elon Musk statistics: what are the top ones?
Main topic: Tech
- 3700 people fired
- Blue going from $5 to $8 per month
- 150K subscribers, $14M ARR, not significant for company
- Record-high mDAU: 256M globally; 45M in the U.S.
People: 3,700 fired; 3 advisors hired
- 3,700 people fired, around 50% of the company.
- 9 Board members fired, including former chairman Bret Taylor.
- 90% of India staff was fired, out of around 200 people.
- At least 3 new advisors hired: venture investor and podcaster Jason Calacanis, venture investor and former Paypal execute David Sacks, and lawyer Alex Spiro.
Twitter Blue: 150K payers at $8/month, $14M ARR
- 150,000 active subscribers after the launch of the new Twitter Blue subscription service, in November 2022.
- $14M in ARR (150,000 x 8 x 12), not a lot for a company with $5B in annual revenue.
- 79% of U.S. ad revenue from 10% top users.
- $40/mo earned from top 1% of U.S. users.
- Most are regular users who have been on Twitter for over 6 years and have 100s of followers.
- 100,000 active subscribers on Twitter Blue, at the time of acquisition. Blue is Twitter's premium subscription service.
- Price went from $5 to $8 per month.
- Elon had promised that ads for Twitter Blue users would be cut in half. According to Platformer, for U.S. users, that would mean $6 per month less in revenue, which would make Twitter Blue unprofitable (when factoring in Apple's or Google's 30% cut).
Usage at all-time highs
- 256+ million mDAU (monetizable daily active users) worldwide (rolling 7-day average).
- 45+ million mDAU (monetizable daily active users) in the U.S. (rolling 7-day average).
Advertising revenue down massively
- A "massive drop in revenue," according to Elon Musk himself, "due to activist groups pressuring advertisers."
- 0.25% - 0.45% hate speech levels, in line with historical norms.
- ↑ Mehta, Ivan (2022-11-07). "After laying off half of its staff, Twitter might be asking some employees to come back". TechCrunch. Retrieved 2022-11-08.
- ↑ Field, Matthew (2022-11-01). "Elon Musk fires entire Twitter board to take sole control". The Telegraph. ISSN 0307-1235. Retrieved 2022-11-08.
- ↑ "Twitter Fires More Than 90% of India Staff, Leaving Just a Dozen". www.bloomberg.com. Retrieved 2022-11-08.
- ↑ "Musk's celebrity lawyer now plays key role in Twitter overhaul". Washington Post. Retrieved 2022-11-08.
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 5.3 "Musk issues ultimatum to staff: Commit to 'hardcore' Twitter or take severance". Washington Post. Retrieved 2022-11-16.
- ↑ Newton, Casey. "Musk discusses putting all of Twitter behind a paywall". www.platformer.news. Retrieved 2022-11-08.
- ↑ twitter.com https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1587498907336118274. Retrieved 2022-11-08. Missing or empty
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 twitter.com https://twitter.com/Jason/status/1589851122596188161. Retrieved 2022-11-08. Missing or empty
- ↑ twitter.com https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1588538640401018880. Retrieved 2022-11-08. Missing or empty
- ↑ Heath, Alex (2022-11-07). "Twitter user growth is at "all-time highs" under Elon Musk". The Verge. Retrieved 2022-11-08.